As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Without Any Extra Cost to You!
The catalytic converter is an essential component of the exhaust system in your car. This device will regulate the vehicle’s gas emission system. It efficiently converts the harmful gases which are produced by the running engine. Altogether, it’s work for further performance and the environment will remain safe from pollution.
When the catalytic converter of your vehicles is bad, the question is how long can you drive it?
In this article, we will discuss everything about the catalytic converter. Let’s dig into deep.
What does a catalytic converter do?
The principal function of the catalytic converter is to convert the toxic gases into a safer substance. They carry out a chemical reaction that will transform pollutants into a harmless substance. The basic pollutants are nitrogen, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, etc.
How does catalytic converter work?
In general, the catalytic converter is a component of a car exhaust system. This device will importantly regulate the gas emission of your car. It’s the outfit to fulfill accurate oxidation and reduction of by-products from fuel. These by-products are the most common harmful toxic substances such as carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
In summary, the catalytic converter will reduce toxic production and convert them into less harmful substances.
Keep in mind that, your car will produce different harmful substances when it running without a converter.
What are the Symptoms of Bad Catalytic Converter?
It’s important to concern about the bad catalytic converter. So that you can take immediate steps on it. Here are some vital signs and symptoms of a bad catalytic converter.
- Engine Misfiring : When the engine misfires, the catalytic converter will show the symptoms of falling. Similarly, you will see these symptoms during fuel mixing in the oil tank. This mixture can cause ignition by entering raw fuel to the converter. It will also melt the component, so this condition is much dangerous.
- Power Loss During Accelerating: This is another vital symptom of a clogged catalytic converter. When you will get the hot feeling during checking the exhaust flow, your converter is definitely clogged. You can simply check your exhaust system and will sure about this problem.
- Engine Performance : Degradation of engine performance is another most common symptoms of the bad converter. This happens to cause it prevents the engine from free running. As a result, the entire engine performance will be affected. Additionally, your vehicle will shake unusually even suddenly burst of pressure during driving.
- Exhaust Performance : Another way to notice the bad the catalytic converter is the reduction of exhaust system performance. Once the converter is failing, it will degrade the fuel system.
- Increased Emission : You should also notice the increased emission of your vehicles. Always remember that, it cannot do it’s work properly when the catalytic converter is failed. With the result that High carbon emission is the outcome of a bad exhaust system.
You can fix it as quickly as possible before it leads the entire exhaust system damage.
Is it possible to drive without catalytic converter?
Most importantly one question arises, can you drive with a catalytic converter?
The answer is, technically you can! You can drive even without a catalytic converter as long you wish. Always keep in mind that, driving without catalytic converter is totally illegal and you will pay dollar of fines for it.
Additionally, you will also fail in your emissions test and unable to get the renewal of registration.
Whether the situation is, the catalytic converter is intact but not working properly?
That’s a different type of story. When the converter was collapsed or clogged, your car will lack the power that it nearly impossible to continue driving.
On the other hand, if the catalytic converter is simply put up with efficiency, you can drive without any worrying.
How long can you drive with a bad catalytic converter?
When the catalytic converter was disabled without damaging other components, you can drive with your car as long as you want.
However, it’s illegal and if you get caught, you would be fined.
Always keep in mind that failing or missing catalytic converter is two different things. If your converter is missing, you must have to replace this as early as possible.
On the other hand, a bad converter will increase tailpipe emissions, which is bad for the environment. Additionally, it can affect engine performance and bring further damage to other parts.
Drive with bad catalytic converter is safe or not?
As we previously discussed, you can drive without the catalytic converter as long as you want. It’s technically completely safe, though it’s illegal and not good for the entire environment.
In summary, driving with a bad catalytic converter is not much danger. It’s enough for a while but in the long run, it can affect the engine performance and damage to other parts.
Therefore the best solution is to replace a new one without further delay.
Here are some best catalytic converters for your automotive replacement.
Long Time Driving With Bad Catalytic Converter
As we discuss before, continuous driving with a bad catalytic converter isn’t any right decision.
But, what’s happens when your catalytic converter is going bad and you will still driving with it?
- Entire Performance: Initially, driving with a bad catalytic converter will reduce the entire performance of your vehicle. Continuing with this will endanger your engine and vehicle’s life.
- Environmental Pollution: The basic function of the catalytic converter is to convert the toxic gases into a safer substance. They carry out a chemical reaction that will transform pollutants into harmless substances. When the converter wasn’t working properly, it will cause pollution of the environment.
- Legal Issue: In many countries, driving with a bad catalytic converter is totally illegal. In this way, it will not only harm the environment but also put yourself in the risk of fines.
Technically, you can drive your car with a bad catalytic converter as long as you want. Although, it’s really not a good decision to continue with a bad converter. As it can affect the entire performance and potential damage to other parts also.
What’s more, it may boost up emissions. And so, it is not environment-friendly. Again, you may have to pay fines even. So, be careful enough!